Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Being a Good Steward

As we end this course, I think the biggest thing I am going to take away from Biology is the new knowledge I have of how to be a good steward of this earth.  Sure recycling and conserving water have been key goals of mine in recent years, but actually learning and seeing the impacts our daily lives have on the environment has been a huge eye-opener.  I realize how much more I could be doing for our environment, especially since I am a Christian and that is something God has mandated to all people, to take care of the earth because it is borrowed land we are living on.  

Sustainability: The human generation now being able to fulfill their needs by the environment while not compromising the needs of future generations. 

I know that I do not want to compromise the lives of my future children by being selfish and greedy in my own lifetime.  I think sustainability is a key concept that all people and all generations must keep in mind, but sadly or independently driven minds do not seem to be as worried about future generations.

We are the stewards, God is the creator and owner.

As humans we want to be in control of everything.  But I actually find so much peace in knowing that I DO NOT have to control everything.  God is in control, He is sovereign and Almighty.  I love this about our God, that even through all we worry about, it is useless because God is there taking care of it.  Some passages I like to reflect on about being stewards and the Lord being in control are these:
Genesis 2:15-17
Isaiah 5
Matthew 25

What is Stewardship?

Stewardship is an official appointed to keep order or supervise arrangements.  A steward is also a person employed to manage another person's property.  Stewardship involves entrustment.
How great is it that God entrusted us with His beautiful creation, and knows we are capable of sustaining it?

Here are a few more appealing pictures for the eye...

Rhino sleeping beneath tree in Umfolozi :)
Indian Ocean-Umzinto Beach
Ernie the Elephant again! I love him!
Zebra in the nature reserve behind AE.



No comments:

Post a Comment